Marie was called to the Bar in 2010 and has gained a reputation as a strong and effective advocate within all aspects of family law. Marie specialises in serious and complex cases.
Public Law Children
Marie is noted for her impeccable attention to detail, and she has extensive experience in complex public law proceedings. She regularly appears on behalf of parents, local authorities and the children, in cases concerning serious and life-threatening injuries; child sexual abuse; Fabricated Induced Illness; physical harm and severe neglect. Some of Marie’s notable cases are:
- 2023 – instructed in a case for a father facing allegations of causing skull fractures to a very young baby, the case involves complex and conflicting medical evidence.
- 2023 – Led junior for a father and successful in defending allegations of child sexual abuse.
- Instructed on behalf of a parent in a complex case accused of permitting her children to undergo Female Genital Mutilation and perpetrating serious physical assaults.
- Re BB (Children)  EWFC 20 – Led junior for an intervenor who faced multiple allegations of rape and sexual abuse perpetrated against his siblings. No findings of sexual harm were made.
- Instructed on behalf of a Father who faced historic allegations of sexual abuse from his child and allegations of Fabricated Induced Illness.
- Instructed on behalf of a mother who faced allegations of causing multiple fractures to her baby. Despite a pool finding, Marie obtained successful rehabilitation of the child to his mother’s care.
- Instructed on behalf of a Father in a case concerning disputed ages of children from West Africa, which involved direct challenge to age assessments undertaken by the Local Authority.
- Instructed on behalf of a Mother who faced allegations that she inflicted nineteen fractures on a very young baby.
- Instructed at a finding of fact for a parent who was found to remain within a pool of perpetrators in relation to injuries to a child. However, despite the findings, Marie was successful in persuading the Court to sanction rehabilitation.
- Led junior in a 4-week finding of fact in the High Court regarding non-accidental injuries to premature triplets. This case involved complex medical evidence from several experts.
Marie is regularly instructed in complex matters on behalf of parents and the Children’s Guardian within private law disputes and at findings of fact hearings.
Marie has extensive experience in dealing with serious allegations such as: rape and sexual abuse; child sexual abuse; domestic abuse and parental alienation.
North Eastern Circuit
Lawyers for Children
“Marie is an exceptional advocate; her legal knowledge is extensive, and she is practical and experienced.”
- Legal 500 2024